Friday 12 June 2009

Sober Grecian

I have just had the pleasure of having a small doner from the Grecian - quite sober due to a mix-up in eating arrangements. I wandered over and it was still light outside! The lamb shish was seriously considered, it is the same price as the standard doner and the chunks were sat waiting in the fridge, looking juicy and tempting.

I went for a small doner, with lettuce and cucumber. The elephant leg looked supremely juicy and the person before me had ordered two large doners, so the fresh unexposed layer underneath was yet more increased in intensity and was oozy and tender. With my new found clarity in thinking, I added carrot and tomato from their extensive salad bar - a wise choice. The tomato added bursts of freshness; the carrot added padding and a crisp note that cabbage often fills - but without the dry bitter tang. It came wrapped, but with no crudely fashioned pouch in the paper so it fell apart quite badly. In fact, coupled with a poorly opened pitta I was seriously debating taking it back and demanding how they propose I could eat the thing.


The left hand side wrapped up into a wonderful sandwich however, I was very satisfied indeed in the end.

I end on a sad note. On walking back I passed the Arches, the young pretender preparing for a busy night. We only made fleeting eye contact, but I could sense the sadness in his eyes - I was clearly clutching a rival's kebab. I walked passed Effes and they didn't even look up. Therein lies the difference between the two, and why I shall always love the Arches.

No comments:

Post a Comment