Saturday 28 March 2009

Proper, unbiased review - The Grecian, Gloucester Road, Bristol


You may have seen a previous guide to this Gloucester Rd staple; bemoaning the surly staff, opening hours and substandard salad. What follows is an unbiased, open review of a standard doner kebab - with garlicsaucelettucecucumber.

The evening began well - several drinks in a local hostelry and another drink in another local. Nothing spectacular but a good solid time was had by all. I was peckish - only a kebab would suffice. I had only two options: a non-standard kebab (shish, kofte as promised in a previous post) from the Arches, or a doner from the Grecian. I entered the Arches full of hope - there was a queue however and the staff were unfamiliar to me - no perfectstubble or Young Pretender and shavedsides was too absorbed in his mobile phone to care. Disregarding those around me (awaiting lesser snacks such as pizzas), I rushed to the Grecian.

I have never been so happy with such a decision in my entire life. As I entered, a couple were tasting a small sample of the chicken kebab as if it was a high-class cheese and olive emporium. I instantly felt welcome and as if I was in a kebab boutique. The elephant leg, as always, looked juicy and rustic with their large knife poised ready to slice. I have never seen such a wonderful assortment of salad - forget the homogenous mix of vinegary mulch of before, this was a smorgasbord of carrot, lettuce, cabbage and diced (not sliced) cucumber. I ordered a small doner, this was expertly sliced and wrapped in paper - a nice touch in a road which favours polystyrene.

I hurried back to the Arches to meet my companions, clutching my kebab. I instinctively knew how incredible this would be so I daren't eat it. I cannot remember a time where food had been TOO good to eat. I nibbled at some of the meat - it was utterly delicious. I bid my farewell and snuck off home.

The kebab was amazing, quite simply. Sweet, juicy meat; a tangy thin garlic sauce with a crisp chunky salad. Look out Arches - there is a new kid in Gloucester Road town.

No comments:

Post a Comment