Friday 9 March 2012

The Interim & The Move

I have been uninspired to write recently. I have moved house to the North Gloucester Road area which has been touched on in previous reviews - Kebab houses of note are conspicuous in their absence in these parts. Eating arrangements have caused me to fend for myself and/or eat late on Tuesdays which lends itself perfectly for Kebab hunting, especially as I pass through Stokes Croft: Bristol's cultural (and kebab) quarter. I have eaten a plethora of Ritas, and my new salad of choice is "All the salad. Yes, including the chillis". I now appreciate a crisp onion to balance the soft lamb flesh. I also nearly ate a Shalimar but defected at the last minute to the Grecian: the elephant leg was almost touching metal and the person at the counter had a face like a freshly slapped arse. I keep returning to Ritas as it is convenient and trustworthy: always a large glistening elephant leg, hand carved, keen sweaty staff. These kebab experiences have melded into each other in my mind: they became a functional snack rather than a joyous, delicious yet humbling experience that I love and crave so much.

The big move has also led to a whole new problem - bus kebabs. The thin carrier bag looks so inconspicous, you think your sandwich is cosy and sealed within its wrapping. Then the scent hits your nostrils. Not the subtle friendly meaty smells but the essence of fart, thick sliced onions, warm cheap recycled chipshop wrapping paper. On a packed bus this can be mortifying and the desire to start eating becomes difficult to bear. Luckily it is only 10 minutes.

The choices at this other end of Glos Rd are quite uninviting (hence the bus rides). Charcoal Grill has two franchises nearby but I have been massively put off by a recent negative review and reported discovery of several hairs. I believe a doner skewer is located in a Southern Fried Chicken shop, this is outrageous. I have even been driven to dining at the king of pseudo-kebabs Subway as it has the requisite dubious meat and choice of salad, all served up by a miserable cunt.

We had chips from the Bristol Fryer recently which were incredible. They were as soft as butter, a creamy savoury nugget of joy with some gentle crispy edges. It was then I spotted a side-on kebab skewer! I remember reading vague favourable reviews of the Jolly Fryer's kebabs which is related to this particular Fryer - I vowed that I would give it a try. After consulting a map i discovered that this may well be my geographially closest kebab shop. I shall make it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment