Friday 9 March 2012

New New Grecian - June 2011

An opportunity presented itself and I had a Grecian for the first time for a while. They have a new chimney installed over their charcoal pit, it is gradually starting to look quite beautiful in there, like a proper Taverna. Rows of neatly stacked shish and kofte, a gorgeous display of salad, European lagers. I ordered a small doner kebab with minty yoghurt sauce, all the salad, no red cabbage. The skewer wasn't even heated up, it was swiftly and crudely carved in their rustic style (I was concerned there would not be enough also), and while he heated the pitta bread up we had a wonderfully awkward conversation:

How are you?
Very well, thankyou, yes
Yeah?
Yes, can't complain, you know.
Good day?
Yes, very nice, lovely weather

I willed him to stop, but he continued nodding and genuinely seemed interested, pursuing different lines of smalltalk. It then led to some deep philosophy and an insight into an intrinsic difference between southern and northern Europe from my new friend:

"I don't know why people are so obsessed with the weather in Britain, you don't need good weather to make you happy. Sometimes I like to go for long walks in the rain, I love the feeling of it splashing on my face. As long as you are happy in life, you are happy no matter what the weather is"

Luckily then my kebab was ready, so I tucked it under my arm and walked out into the blissful June sunshine, a tear at the corner of my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment