Thursday 31 January 2013

Breaking News

There is a kebab shop opening up on Filton Avenue. Details are sketchy at the moment, it appears to also be heavily promoting the availability of pizza. It is located in a former greasy spoon cafe opposite the former site of the Fellowship pub. Times are a-changing. This is just up the road from what looks like a pretty ropey Chinese fish and chip shop. I wouldn't touch the fish in there with yours, but I could grab a parcel of chips while swinging back with a tester from this new kebab outlet. Watch this space. Although considering my last post was getting on for a year ago, perhaps not.

This reminds me of the only time I have ever visited the New City Fish Bar on Filton Avenue, the chinese chippy mentioned above. It was in my student days so over ten years ago now. We were coming back from the pub and nipped in to buy chips (this may have even been in the dark pre-kebab discovery days). My housemate called and asked if I could pick her up a burger, no problem at all, and my friend decided to get some spare ribs, seeing as it was a Chinese takeaway also. The order was all placed and prepared, they took our money and gave us change, then the server came out from the back room with the takeaway bag including the box of spare ribs and three bright red fingers! He wiped them casually on his apron and wished us a safe trip home. We just had to accept it, I am not sure what you can say in that situation. "Give us our money back, I am suspicious of your hand washing regimen". The food was passable, we arrived home to find the "burger" was in fact just a deep fried hamburger patty however. Like a battered sausage, but a burger. It was also fairly hard, probably due to the time it had spent keeping warm. Not a great deal of turnover with battered hamburgers I suspect. My housemate was not amused at all, she even tried putting it between two slices of white bread with ketchup and mayonnaise. After a bite she looked at us with a cold glare and threw it in the bin. Hence I haven't been back.

No comments:

Post a Comment