Thursday 29 July 2010

My Favoured Kebab

I have finally found it: after years of fruitless searching, misguided experimentation (mint sauce from Efes, no salad but cucumber, chicken doner etc etc), I have consumed the perfect kebab. I was enlightened to this particular combination by a pair of fellow kebab connoiseurs (eternally grateful, thanks Ant and Matt): chicken shish / lamb doner mix from the Grecian. Initally I looked upon this with suspicion, chicken has no place in kebabs - or so I thought.

I have eaten a lamb shish / lamb doner mix before and after initial enthusiasm, in hindsight I found I was a touch dissapointed. The price was OK - £4.90 - but I found the chunks of lamb more chewy and tastless than tender and juicy. Chicken doner just didn't cut it, it seemed to taste like curry and I longed for the soft, delicate touch of lamb. With this novel combo however the chicken is a moist celebration of poultry with a distinct barbeque edge from the charcoal grill; the lamb doner acts as a general lubricant and padding to fill the kebab out to its polystyrene-bursting best, whilst also tasting utterly divine of course.

I opt now for mint and yoghurt as sauce - as mentioned earlier I have tried mint sauce in lesser establishments and found it to taste like trebor mints dissolved in vinegar - however here it is a joyous homemade style dressing which lacks the strong, cloying texture of garlic mayo. I have all the salad aside from red onion, this tends to dominate, and they dress the salad with lemon juice to add a crisp, acidic note to the overall meal. I have been tending to avoid red cabbage also, I feel white cabbage is enough cabbage, plus bizzarely it is staining our plates at home with purple blotches. Thanks to the Arches (RIP), I have also discovered the pickled chillies, I assumed these would either taste strongly of vinegar, chilli or both; however it is actually a very mild, juicy treat which rounds off the salad perfectly.

This is all wrapped up in a warm parcel and I hurry home, clutching my precious cargo, for consumption at home in rapturous delight at the united, symbiotic partnership of lamb and chicken. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment